Why would you want to do this?

There's a certain amount of desirability to get a lot of functionality into a "one box
solution", sure, but at some point one has to ask, "how much is too much"?

Having services that are logically co-located (like firewalling and VPN)
together makes sense, but there's no compelling reason to have email on a
boundary machine.

Indeed, there are several strong reasons not to:

* boundary machines have a lot of attack surface, by virtue of being boundary
machines
* a router/firewall contains relatively little state, and can be replaced
relatively quickly and easily in the case of corruption, catastrophic failure,
or subversion. a mail server has a lot of state, in contrast, and needs to be
backed up regularly.  especially if it's also a message store for IMAP or POP.
* email can contain a lot of personally identifiable information (full name,
street address, employee id #, etc) that you wouldn't want to put at the edge
of your network.

I would sooner set up port-forwarding for SMTP (and possibly 587, 143, 993,
etc) and bury that machine deep in my secure intranet.

Lastly, message processing can be extremely compute intensive (especially if
you're running spam filters) and use a lot of storage (and energy).

These are not qualities associated with what's typically a border gateway or
firewall.  We have a box that consumes 12W and has the highest priority on our
UPS, so it's the last thing shut down when power is off and the UPS is being
depleted.  Having a lot of storage and/or processing power on that box would
make it have less run-time on UPS power.

More power consumption also means more heat... you no longer have the option of
sticking your firewall in a small, poorly ventilated wiring closet.