I have a TP-Link MR3220 with trunk 25818 installed all is going well but
wifi is not coming up. There seems to be an issue with th driver.

wifi up triggers the following output:

# wifi up
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
Line 2: invalid/unknown driver 'nl80211'
Line 43: unknown configuration item 'ieee80211n'
Line 44: unknown configuration item 'ht_capab'
3 errors found in configuration file '/var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf'
Failed to start hostapd for phy0

/etc/config/wireless is the standard configuration produced by
/etc/init.d/network boot (with wifi enabled of course):

# cat /etc/config/wireless
config wifi-device radio0

option type mac80211
option channel 11
option macaddr 74:ea:3a:cd:59:3c[[BR]] option hwmode 11ng
option htmode HT20
list ht_capab SHORT-GI-40
list ht_capab TX-STBC
list ht_capab RX-STBC1
list ht_capab DSSS_CCK-40
# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
option disabled 0

config wifi-iface

option device radio0
option network lan
option mode ap
option ssid  <https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/OpenWrt> OpenWrt
option encryption none

Both kmod ath9k and wpad-mini are installed:

# opkg list |grep kmod
kmod-ath - 2.6.37.1+2011-02-25-1
kmod-ath9k - 2.6.37.1+2011-02-25-1
kmod-button-hotplug - 2.6.37.1-3
kmod-cfg80211 - 2.6.37.1+2011-02-25-1
kmod-crc-ccitt - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-crypto-aes - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-crypto-arc4 - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-crypto-core - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-input-core - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-input-gpio-buttons - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-input-polldev - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-conntrack - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-core - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-extra - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-filter - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-ipopt - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-ipp2p - 2.6.37.1+1.31-1
kmod-ipt-nat - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-nathelper - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-ipt-ulog - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-leds-gpio - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-mac80211 - 2.6.37.1+2011-02-25-1
kmod-ppp - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-pppoe - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-sched - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-textsearch - 2.6.37.1-1
kmod-tun - 2.6.37.1-1

# opkg list |grep wpad
wpad-mini - 20110117-1

I had opened a ticket for that, and I got advice that

"Looks like your wpad/hostapd got compiled for the wrong driver."

This would indicate that something must have gone wrong with the
compilation, but how could this go wrong? I am not even aware how to change
a driver so would not have touched the relevant menuconfig parts.

What could cause the firmware to be compiled with a wrong driver?