On 06/04/11 16:18, Yeoh Chun Yeow wrote:
> UBNT RS has two ports connected to eth1, port 0 and port 1. If you
> connect your Ethernet cable to port 0 without first connecting Ethernet
> cable to port 1, it won't work. You will see a lot of messages "Trying
> 100/FULL, Trying 10/HALF, Trying 10/HALF". Once you connect port 1 with
> Ethernet cable, you will only see the message "eth1: link up
> (100Mbps/Full duplex)" and the port 0 will function properly.
>
> Do you know why?

So the two ports 0 and 1 are attached to the switch chip ports with those
numbers?

It seems to me this is some interesting interaction between the switch chip
driver and the drivers for your System-on-Chip containing the Ethernet MACs.

Those messages about 10/HALF etcetera are, AFAIK, related to querying the PHYs
connected to an Ethernet MAC for link state. But if the ADM6996 switch driver is
queried for link state, it will invariably return 100 Mbit/s full duplex and
link up (function adm6996_read_status). This was already the case before I
implemented VLAN functionality, by the way.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt