On Sunday 29 May 2011 20:18:46 Philip Prindeville wrote:
> On 5/29/11 10:34 AM, John Crispin wrote:
> > On 29/05/11 19:14, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >> Minor comment. It's my understanding that gmake will fork/exec commands
directly if it doesn't detect any meta-characters, thereby saving a fork/exec
pair of $(SHELL) to interpret them. In this case:

> >> it would be a lot more efficient to just write out both pathnames as
> >> absolute (easier to grep through logs, too).
> >>
> >> -Philip
> >
> > i disagree, the proposed call is consistent with how most other owrt
> > Makefiles are written
>
> I'm not saying it doesn't match what's been done elsewhere: I'm just saying
> it's not the most efficient way to do things, which is pretty
> incontrovertible.

Do we really care about performance at package install time? Certainly not, so
let's keep it that way, and encourage people writing things that way as well,
because it makes the Makefile shorter and concise.
--
Florian