Apologies if you receive this twice. It was supposed to be sent on last friday, but it seems it wasn't - or at least, I didn't got it back - which is weird since I didn't lost any other message.

---8<-------------

Hello,

I'm not sure whether this is by design or if this is a mistake, but when one does a

  make toolchain/kernel-headers/prepare

the build process applies the generic patches (in $(GENERIC_PLATFORM_DIR)/paches-$(KERNEL_VERSION)) but not the ones that are located in the specific platform subtree. This has an undesireable consequence: when one wants to modify a linux header that can be used by some userspace program, he must add its platform-specific patch in the generic subtree - otherwise the changes to the header file are not visible.

The same remark applies for the platfom files/ directory, which contains potentially important header files as well.

In my opinion, the kernel-headers toolchain package shall have no patches/ and no files/ - that doesn't make much sense. I cannot see any reason were one would want to have user-space kernel header files that are not tied to the kernel-space ones. Since the patches are applied on the linux tree, they should be added into to linux generic patch dir (same remark for the files), so maybe one can just set PATCH_DIR to $(PLATFORM_DIR)/patches-$(KERNEL_VERSION) (or something like that) in kernel-headers/Makefile - or change the Kernel/Patch/Default rule so that it always apply the platform patches - and not the patches in PATCH_DIR (since this variable depends on the package).

So, honnest mistake or design choice? (i.e. what should I do with this report?)

Best regards,

--
Emmanuel Deloget