Jonathan Bennett wrote:
You should be able to get something running fairly easily. First step
is to get serial access and access to the bootloader. To start, try
compiling a ramdisk version of the 1043, uploading it to ram, and
booting it from there. Start with the 1043 code, and see how much of
it works.

I do have serial access, but I can't find any way to interrupt the boot loader to get a command line. Otherwise I would have tried something like that.

It's also useful to start a thread on the forums and report your
progress there. Some will chip in with help and advice.

I have done that now.