Many moons ago I was working with a startup developing a small
battery-powered device based around TI's DaVinci DM355 SoC.
http://www.ti.com/product/tms320dm355

We tried to use the MMC/SDIO interface to talk to an SD form-factor 802.11
card (since the USB was already assigned elsewhere), but I could see that
USB working well for a cheap Ra-Link card instead.

As to your question about pricing reference, the DM355 runs roughly
US$20/ea from AVNet, for example.
http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/em/EMController/Processor/Multimedia-Misc/_/N-100230/Ne-100000?action=products&advAction=&cat=1&catalogId=500201&cutTape=&inStock=&langId=-1&myCatalog=&npi=&proto=&regionalStock=&rohs=&searchType=&storeId=500201&term=dm355&topSellers=

We were able to get a tray of sample DM355's from AVnet, and it looks like
they sell some of the pkg variants in qty 1.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM, jonsm...@gmail.com <jonsm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Ben West <b...@gowasabi.net> wrote:
> > This unfortunately a common attitude from parts vendors, especially when
> you
> > are not buying in qty 10k+.
>
> We are in the 2-4K volume range which is too low for them to
> apparently care about. If they'd just put the chips into a distributor
> and give us an accurate manual we'd probably never call the chip
> manufacturer.
>
> What is pricing like for the SOC chips? Would it be less that our
> $8.00 combo of lpc3130/USB wifi? USB wifi is flexible in that we can
> put in 11g, 11b, 5Ghz, etc sticks.  lpc3130 is a very good chip for
> this since it has the integrated 480Mb USB PHY.
>
> > You might try asking vendors for a tray of samples for testing purposes,
> > e.g. a dozen chips.
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM, jonsm...@gmail.com <jonsm...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Are any of the router SOC CPUs easily available for purchase?  We've
> >> tried to buy some buy nobody wants to talk to us.
> >>
> >> As a work around we are using a lpc3130 ($3.50) and an OEM USB wifi
> >> stick ($4.00 ralink). We have to go through FCC anyway because of the
> >> 2.4Ghz 802.15.4 radio.
> >>

> > --
> > Ben West
> > http://gowasabi.net