On 20 Jan 2012, at 23:47, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> I'd sure like to see netlink being used to communicate speed/carrier changes
> up into userspace.

Unfortunately there's absolutely no netlink support in the lantiq driver and I
don't think any of that info is available elsewhere, I would have thought
trying to add a netlink capability would be a bit extreme? (and probably well
outside my capability) … and that would then need to be done for every
subsequent DSL driver to maintain standardisation.

There is an ioctl interface, which also works without the daemon running, which
I did consider, but my thought was that this would require an extra binary to
maintain (unless there's a simple lua ioctl interface, but I couldn't find one)
and would have a lot less transparency than a script -- but I'm happy to knock
something up to make use of this if it's considered a better approach.

Regards,

Lee.