For those of us using x86-based platforms we'd like to have a way to do
in-place upgrades without losing configuration state.

I understand that (a) we are a smaller community, and (b) the sizing
constraints of x86 platforms is very different than (say) a WRT54G-L... memory
on a Alix or Geos is usually 128MB or better, and 256MB flash or better.

Would anyone be willing to work on this?  I might have a platform (like an Alix
2D13) I can contribute to the effort. I'd work on it, but don't know a lot
about MTD, etc. But if someone is willing to walk me through it, I can make an
attempt.

Thanks,

-Philip