On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Felix Fietkau <n...@openwrt.org> wrote:
> As you've probably noticed, we've had issues keeping up with the
> workload of incoming patches.
> There is quite a bit of work involved in taking care of incoming
> patches, not just review. Patches need to be compile tested, ideally
> also runtime tested, and checked for dependency issues. Most of the
> time, this work is left up to the limited number of people that have SVN
> access. People often complain that it's hard to get involved, because it
> takes a long time to get SVN access, and the rules for that may not
> always be clear.
>
> In my opinion, the main issue is not that we don't give out SVN access
> fast enough, it's that people consider SVN access necessary for
> contributing in the first place. If we change the way patches are
> accepted to no longer depend on that, it becomes much easier for people
> to start.
>
> To be able to do that properly, it is important that patches still get
> reviewed and tested, but we can decentralize this work to split it up
> among a bigger group.
>
> One way to do this would be to have a group of people - with or without
> SVN access - maintaining a git tree with proposed changes to /trunk or
> /packages. This tree should be frequently rebased to latest SVN.
> This allows any developer with SVN access to spend a few minutes a day
> looking over the tree, giving it a quick sanity check, and then flushing
> all changes into SVN.
> With proper care by the tree maintainers, author attribution and review
> annotations can be easily put into the commit messages to ensure that
> they are preserved during the commit to SVN.
>
> With such a tree, the typical lifetime of a patch could look somewhat
> like this:
>
> - User proposes a patch on the list.
> - Core developer does a superficial review on patchwork, assigns it to
> the patch team, possibly with comments on what to test or look out for
> - Somebody from the patch team picks up the patch, tests it, ACKs it.
> - Patch gets added to the proposed-changes tree.
> - A developer with SVN access flushes the proposed-changes tree into SVN.
>
> One nice thing about this workflow is that aside from a few scripts to
> simplify dealing with constantly rebased git trees, we have all the
> tools we need to implement this.
>
> Does this proposal make sense? Do we have any volunteers that are
> willing to organize and take care of maintaining the tree and compile
> testing and reviewing the incoming changes?

If there is a process like that in place I'll gladly participate on the arches
I am working on, notably the ag71xx, and perhaps one day guruplug and
x86 and kvm. I do try to test things thoroughly - sometimes too thoroughly,
I have something of a backlog.

My principal critique of this workflow is that I tend to view svn as part
of the problem to a large extent. If I do a patch in my own (git) tree
to test with, I invariably have to rebase that tree when it comes down
from svn.

as I am frequently offline, not being able to do a 'svn log' is the
second deal-killer for me, for svn usage.

I can see what you propose as being an incremental improvement
on what currently exists, and can live with it, however.

A second, large problem (in my mind), is that I would like to find a
process for getting stuff upstream into the mainline kernel. The
latest patch set for the 71xx is something like 84 files and 120+
patches, and most of that is stuff that is unchanged for the past year.

Most of what I worked on last quarter got developed in the net-next
git tree,  and backported and then tested on cerowrt.

> - Felix

Dave Täht
SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608