On 02/06/2012 08:52 AM, jonsm...@gmail.com wrote:
Most ARM CPUs have boot ROMs for getting the initial image out of
flash. I'm referring to the boot loader that loads uboot, not uboot.
The ARM CPUs I've worked with search for a signature in flash, if they
can't find a valid signature they load from UART instead. Or you can
use a jumper to force loading from UART. This allows you to recover
from being bricked or initially load the flash without needing a
special programmer.

Do the MIPS based router CPUs have this ability? What does the on MIPS
CPU ROM do if the image in flash is invalid?

MIPS systems varies as much as ARM ones do.  The short answer, is
it depends upon the hardware.   For systems which lack serial/ROM
level recovery, you'll need to use JTAG.  Some systems I work
with lack even that.