On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 18:56 +0200, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> > Am I missing something? I would think this useful, as it may have
> > been plugged into a different network.
>
> Yes. This might work for units that have their wan at a dedicated
> interface, but it will fail through bridges or switches which are
> "always up" from the system pov.

Yes, I understand. Bridges, I believe, do a suitable AND operation of
the carriers for encompassed ports. Switches are more difficult and
depend on driver behaviour. It would be appropriate for switch drivers
to also do a logical AND of relevant physical port's carriers.

But those are the details. I was enquiring about the basic principle in
the first instance. There is no current mechanism for dhcpc (or other)
activity on carrier down/up?

I saw a patch for uevent to handle interface carrier events, but it
doesn't seem to have stuck?

Thanks,
Conor