Hi,

On 05/22/2012 12:52 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> For the past few days, I've been updating to the latest SVN code, and I'm
> seeing that when I try to login to luci, I get a failed username/password.
>
> I can ssh to the router (pubkey authentication), but changing the root
> password doesn't affect my ability to login to the web interface.
>
> I have strace installed on the router and have pulled logs of a version
> earlier this week - here's what strace showed on the relevant thread
> (password obscured):
>
> --- snip ---
>
> 9612  read(0, "username=root&password=MYPASSWORD"..., 33) = 33
> 9612  open("/etc/shadow", O_RDONLY)     = 12
> 9612  ioctl(12, TIOCNXCL, 0x7fd02608)   = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl
> for device)
> 9612  read(12, "root:x:0:0:99999:7:::\ndaemon:*:0"..., 4096) = 116

Looks liks the password isn't actually stored in the shadow file, but
only in passwd, while current libs only check against shadow. You have
to enable shadow support in busybox for the passwd command to store the
password to shadow. Current OpenWRT has this as the default, but I had
the same problem at first when I was updating an old config from backfire.

Maybe the option not to enable shadow support should be removed
altogether, as it is useless when the other software doesn't support it?

Regards,
Matthias