On 03/07/12 19:37, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
Is /overlay supported on x86?  Am I missing something here?

Yes they are and I have a confirmed working setup on x86 with a squashfs rootfs and an ext4 overlay, however as someone else has pointed out initramfs is different.

The way that overlays work from reading the bash scripts requires pivot_root changing the mount point of the rootfs to /rom and then mounting up the overlay, however initramfs doesn't have the concept of pivot_root and so you can't pivot it to make the overlay work.

Also I'm not sure how the overlay mechanics interact with initramfs as initramfs is part of the blockcaching layer but from reading the kernel documentation file ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt I think that what you can do it is copy the contents of your initramfs into the partition you want to use to store state and then switch with switch_root to that partition.

--
Tim Fletcher <t...@night-shade.org.uk>