> am on a WRT54GS.
>
> I tried:
> iw dev wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

are you in adhoc or ap-mode?

> Should I be making the equivalent "iw set bitrates" on the client
> machine as well (I have a laptop connected to the router)?

yes, ofcourse. otherwise it doesnt make sense,
because it seems that the situation will come up,
when mudulation changes (fast) between OFDM and
non-OFDM. (e.g. 11 vs. 12mbit or 5.5 vs. 6 mbit)

> If so that may not be practical since not all of my client
> machines
> are on linux (my wife's windows laptop, and my tivo doesn't expose
> advanced wireless config).

but you can hardware them to 802.11g IMHO

> Also, you mention putting "wifi up" in a cron script.  Does doing
> that
> sever already extablished connections?  So if I did this in the
> middle
> of a large file copy, would it break the connection?

no, it will just continue, you can take this for a start:
http://intercity-vpn.de/files/openwrt/cron.minutely_checkwifi.sh

> I wonder if a temporary solution might be to hack the b43 driver
> such
> that it would refuse to change from g to b speeds regardless of
> client
> settings. I'm no kernel dev, but it might be worth toying with.

yes, that would be a "solution" but i think thats not (easy)
possible: the decoding is done in hardware IMHO, but
maybe its enough to say in the beacons "i can only speak x.y"

> One more question:  What build of openwrt are you using?  I am on
> Backfire 10.03.1, r29592.  Perhaps I should be trying this trick on
> development snapshot instead.

yes, we are using recent trunk, e.g. r32764 or newer.

bye, bastian