Likewise, I'm a bit curious about the 170Mbit/s throughput reported by
iperf.  A reported 300Mbit/s link speed is TX+RX aggregate, i.e. 150Mbit/s
each for the TX and RX chains combined, and the actual throughput would be
diminished both by imperfect wireless signal and protocol overhead(s).  If
I'm understanding things correctly ...

80Mbit/s sustained throughput is actually much closer to what I'd expect
almost any firmware to achieve on a 5.8GHz MIMO point-to-point link.

Can you reproduce the 170Mbit/s with tools besides iperf?  For example, if
the radios are connected to a GigE wired LAN on each end, can you push
100Mbit/s+ in HTTP traffic over the link?

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Felix Fietkau <n...@openwrt.org> wrote:

> On 2012-12-22 4:34 AM, Nicolás Echániz wrote:
> > Here at QuintanaLibre we have been testing these new routers and we'd
> > like to share some results, in case someone has any tips on how to
> > improve performance.
> >
> > There's a blog post (spanish) on the tests here:
> >
> http://blog.altermundi.net/article/performance-de-equipos-multi-banda-tl-wdr3600/
> >
> > The important bit is that with the original firmware we get a throughput
> > of 170 Mbits/sec, while with OpenWRT we get roughly 80 Mbits/sec.
> >
> > Links report: 300.0 MBit/s MCS 15 40Mhz short GI, but actual transfer
> > rate seems low, at almost 100Mbits/s less than the results with the
> > original firmware.
> >

> > One detail is that HT capabilities seem to be making no difference.
> >
> > These two different wireless settings (uci output) produce the exact
> > same results:
> >
> > wireless.radio1.ht_capab = SHORT-GI-20 GI-40 TX-RX STBC-STBC1 DSSS_CCK-40
> >
> > wireless.radio1.ht_capab = SHORT-GI-40
> >
> > Changing modes from adhoc to ap/sta made no noticeable difference either.
> A few questions to figure out the cause of the performance delta:
> - How do you measure the throughput?
> - Are you using bridging between cable and wifi?
> - What is the system load in top while you're running the test?
> - Please show me the relevant output from
> /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/netdev:*/stations/*/rc_stats while
> running a throughput test.
>
> - Felix

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net