Ok, well I think I figured out what dd-wrt is doing with broadcom-wl, took
forever due to there being pretty much zero documentation and the whole
source tree being ridiculously confusing. Their build system for the
broadcom-wl appears to be a hybrid kernel agnostic system in which
OS-independent wlc_ binary files are used to create the kernel specific
wl.ko, I was able to compile broadcom-wl against multiple 3.x kernel
version successfully as far as I can tell(getting entire dd-wrt to compile
is a bit more work due to tons of broken symlinks/poor documentation etc).
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/linux/universal/linux-3.11/brcm/mipsel/wl
should be the relevant directory.
Per the readme:
Naming conventions:
The driver prefix is "wl" .
Port (os) specific files, routines, and data structures start with "wl_" .
Common (os-independent) files, routines, and data structures start with
"wlc_" .

I'm not sure if these files are from public tarballs or not but they seem
to work for most configurations from looking at reports. They are
definitely different from most router tarballs which appear to use the os
specific wl_ files. This appears to be similar to how OpenWRT builds
broadcom-wl to some degree but appears to also be significantly more up to
date and more functional and a more official broadcom method. I could be
wrong about some of this but it appears we should be able to replace
current methods with this and fix a lot of problems.