On 03/25/2014 03:19 PM, Justyn wrote:
Hello list,

I'm currently running a few wireless nodes (Ubiquiti PicoStations) with
OpenWrt to form an 802.11s mesh network.

beware bandwidth degradation on single-radio mesh nodes.

https://startpage.com/do/search?q=bandwidth+degradation+on+single-radio+mesh+nodes

I'm also interested in writing a completely decentralized multicast chat
application and interfacing it with LuCI.  So I've saved up some
questions that I'd appreciate if anyone skimmed over and could provide
some help on a couple things:

check out
* http://bmx6.net "sms plugin" which piggybacks into bmx6 packets and does what you envision, but in a bmx6 mesh.
  * http://qmp.cat has a PoC implementation of your chat idea using bmx6

* alfred, which does something equivalent on a pure link-local (be it wired, made with batman-adv magic, or -hipotetically- 802.11s)
http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/alfred/

cheers!