From the product review in Amazon:
-----------------------------------
Linksys says:
Hi Mat,
Hopefully we can clear up some of your concerns.
*Flashing your WRT1900AC will NOT void your warranty. We are making sure our support staff are clear on this*. Thanks for letting us know that you were given bad information. *OpenWRT firmware is coming but is not being developed by Linksys.* *We are working with the OpenWRT team to give them whatever support they need for their release*. We do not have any time frame for OpenWRT to release firmware for the WRT1900AC but it is in progress and will be available at some point in the near future. We suspect that they will announce it as soon as it is available. About the web UI crashing issue, please email us your case number from support and link to this review at linksysca...@linksys.com so we can further investigate.
Thanks,
Linksys Supporthttp://support.linksys.com
-----------------------------------

Not being developed by Linksys ? By who then ?
With regards giving the OpenWRT team whatever support they need, giving the source of the wireless driver would be a good start. Then a couple of units to developers is another way to "work with the OpenWRT team" I guess.

Fernando

On 18/04/2014 07:44, Andrew Johnson wrote:
(See below)
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Matthew Fatheree <matthew.fathe...@belkin.com <mailto:matthew.fathe...@belkin.com>> wrote:

    On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 19:27 -0700, Andrew Johnson wrote:
    > As already pointed out by Felix, your patches do not contain the
    > necessary wireless driver, so OpenWRT users are not actually able to
    > create a working firmware for the WRT1900AC with those patches. So
    > your statement that "users are able to access those [patches], and
    > create a firmware image while the approval process completes." isn't
    > true, because said firmware image wouldn't actually work.

    The firmware can be built with what we have provided, and will run on
    the WRT1900AC successfully.  It is true that it would lack wireless
    support, but that would not stop the firmware from actually
    working.  We
    are actively working on the package to support the wireless hardware,
    this will not be overlooked.

Oh. I had figured this goes without saying, but I guess I was wrong --
For all intents and purposes, lack of wireless functionality in a wireless router firmware means the firmware doesn't work. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $250 USD for an 802.11ac wireless**router that purports OpenWRT support in order to use it with OpenWRT as a wired-only router. No one. So with that being said, I would submit to you that making statements like "It is true that it would lack wireless support, but that would not stop the firmware from actually working" does more damage than good in conversations like this. The lack of the wireless support is indeed the very thing that is stopping the firmware from working. It'd be nice to avoid things like that moving forward if at all possible -- as the saying goes, don't pee on my boots and tell me it's raining.

    I apologize for the confusion.  I am optimistic, that things will be
    cleared up soon.

    I appreciate your enthusiasm.

I'm still willing to wait and see what happens. But so far, I feel this is a horrible start on the OpenWRT support front -- especially marketing wise. Again, here's a review from someone that bought this product expecting OpenWRT support based on the marketing materials and was quite disappointed - http://amzn.to/1f0z4p8
Regards,

Andrew