On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Florian Fainelli wrote:

Hello,

Le 10 août 2014 09:44, "Etienne Champetier" <champetier.etie...@gmail.com>
a écrit :

Le 10 août 2014 18:18, "Stefan Monnier" <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> a
écrit :

It would be great to have all feeds in one place, on GitHub.

I think making oneself dependent upon a commercial company
without paying it (i.e. without leverage) would be a mistake.

        Stefan

We use git, the day github closes, or asks for money, or ..., we move. We
dont depend on github, we use it while it's there (and free).
In the mean time it helps getting the job done

Also paying is no leverage, a contract can be but there are always half
million clauses, and in the worst case scenario they pay you one month back

We already have an infrastructure deployed which is much wider than the
services offered by github. Surely we had our own administrative issues
with those machines but they have been sorted now and the process is much
stronger.

At this point, I don't think we would be getting any advantage of using a
3rd party service, but that's just me.

I agree about the value of having our own infrastructure, but since git is so powerful, what about making a clone of the feeds on github as well as the current feeds.

If the original poster is correct and this will generate more patch submissions from github users, it's a significant win.

If not, it doesn't cost any money and only a small amount of time.

if git wasn't decentralized enough to allow for multiple instances like this, it would be a much harder decision to make.

some projects that have added a presense on github (or moved there entirely) report a significant increase in patches, some report no change. For OpenWRT, I expect that most of the project would see no change, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some areas benefit.

David Lang