On 19 April 2016 at 23:04, Baptiste Jonglez <bapti...@bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:14:52PM +0200, Michal Kazior wrote:
>> I've been recently working on adding IPv6 support
>> to relayd (which supported only IPv4).
>>
>> It does, however, require a kernel patch to make
>> it actually usable because link-local addresses
>> are not routable by kernel by default.
>>
>> The patch, currently an RFC, can be found here:
>>
>>   https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg104390.html
>
> If your use-case is 802.11 bridging, why don't you simply use
> WDS/4-address mode¹?  Why would you want to change the behaviour of
> link-local addresses (at layer 3) to solve a layer 2 problem?

A couple of reasons:
 * WDS != 4addr [1], compatibility is a problem
 * you might not have admin control over given AP
 * given AP might not have 4addr as a config option in the first place
 * given AP might not be upgradable (for whatever reason)

FWIW My IPv6 kernel patch was rejected by David[2]. I guess the next
idea is to make a link device kernel driver in a similar fashion to
bridge/macvlan and see if it gets a green light :)

[1]: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode
[2]: https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg373426.html

Michał