Detailed rationale:
• This code should never have been accepted: it should certainly not be part of
a release and if it accidentally was part of one that should absolutely not be
reason to continue what is IMO a mistake.
• This code does not support the stock hardware
• This code is a maintenance burden (it's a custom hack, in essence)
• This code will induce confusion with end user when the new code is introduced
• There will be no upgrade path between this code and the new support

Assuming there’s more than a single user for this code (which I doubt
considering the wiki suggests using an SPI flash programmer to install), the
supplementary rationale from my point of view is thus precisely to break the
support chain and make it perfectly clear that current “support" stops in 18.06
without what could be taken as a sign of a transition ("oh, image has changed
name but it should still be the right one"): old support in 17, nothing in 18,
new support in 19: clean break.

No replacement is proposed since no such a thing can exist: stock hw uses a
different bootloader (routerboot) which expects a different image format, and
uses an incompatible mtd flash partitioning.