Hi Peter,

On 27.01.2020 22:05, Peter Geis wrote:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Piotr Dymacz <pep...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

But it's not a general rule and, at least in case of generic/basic
settings, user shouldn't be worried about upgrading between major
versions with preserving settings. Otherwise, the whole idea doesn't
make much sense and we should just prevent settings backup during major
versions switch.

Excellent point!
Here's an odd possibility, just to throw at the wall.
What about building a special transition image, specifically for
moving from ar71xx to ath79.
If you want to retain the ability to return to ar71xx have an image to
go the opposite way.

Simply, no.
Please don't make it way more complicated that it truly is.

Or a metadata package to do the conversion post flash.

My goal is to solve the problem without re-inventing the wheel. I prefer to solve the problem with what we already have.

Because the option (which seems pretty drastic, unless the size could
be minimized) of having a near permanent conversion script built into
the firmware seems rather costly.

Conversion scripts would be my last solution. I prefer to deal with the problem without too much overhead.

--
Cheers,
Piotr