On 2021-01-18 12:29, Adrian Schmutzler wrote:
Do you mean "files" as "directories" (I know every dir is a file ;) )? If you talk
about "asus,gt-ac5300", it's used by the:
cp -r $(COMPATIBLE)/* $@-bootfs/
line in the Build/bcm4908img.

Ah, okay. Yes, I was referring to the directory names here. I
personally consider a comma in a file name a bit disturbing/confusing
and since it's not really necessary I'd simply switch to the
underscore naming scheme (like done for images and tmp dirs. ($@)
anyway) here.
That would mean changing the folder name to "asus_gt-ac5300" and the
referenced line to

cp -r $(DEVICE_NAME)/* $@-bootfs/

Since this is pure image building code at this point, using the device
definition name (DEVICE_NAME) also appears the more direct approach
here compared to the compatible which is the relevant identifier on
the _running_ device.

I agree with that reasoning and I like that idea of reusing DEVICE_NAME.

As for naming, I followed what's used by the bcm63xx-cfe repo:
https://github.com/openwrt/bcm63xx-cfe

Since these are used/selected at build time as well, I'd personally
also haven chosen the underscore naming (according to DEVICE_NAME) for
these.

Note that if you do apply these two "changes", you get rid of the
COMPATIBLE variable at all for the proposed patch, and this is
probably the reason why a variable like this is not needed for "build
steps" in the other targets (at least those I know closer by now),
which simply use DEVICE_NAME for stuff like that. :-)

I'd personally prefer going that way, as using DEVICE_NAME would be
more consistent and expectable for this matter.

This is repository started by Álvaro, I just followed existing schema there. I don't really think I want to start discussion on that and suggest another
naming schema.

One more thing to consider is that more project that just OpenWrt may want to use that repository. I use it e.g. in my buildroot. Such external projects may find DTS "compatible" string more common that OpenWrt-specific device name.