On 14/02/2021 10:33, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Petr Štetiar <yn...@true.cz> writes:

I assume it's for some legacy reasons which don't apply in 2021 to OpenWrt.

Not sure I understand what you mean here.  There was a a request for
this feature, so it obviously applies to OpenWrt.  And it's already
enabled for the ipq807x and rockchip targets, so you can't really claim
that it's not available in OpenWrt either.

Hmm, I think I was bitten by this before... In my case setting a
CONFIG_DEVMEM=y in any of the targets-config like this did not what
its supposed to do.

This was because this setting gets "forced" by the CONFIG KERNEL_DEVMEM in our
own config/Config-kernel.in. So we might as well remove the CONFIG_DEVMEM
from all subtarget configuration. (I think the target/generic/config-X can
stay or there will be edit-wars).

(My best guess how these settings end up in the targets config, is that these
settings get there by accident when the configurations are refreshed upon a
kernel-bump.)

Cheers,
Christian