Hello Andre

We already talked about it, but once again for the list:

Here are my thoughts on why I would like to have this for the mailinglist.

I skipped both of these numeric state values when porting this to
ubus/C, because those are internal and lantiq implementation specific.
I'd like to avoid exposing those if possible.

So far we only have the lantiq DSL implementation.
The only thing I can think of is that Broadcom also has DSL.
But they have a strange licensing policy and are therefore negligible.
I have also not yet seen a target that has this DSL frontend from broadcom.

With the old implementation, we also exported the numbers via the UBUS.
I already used this data for the collectd to also record the line_state and the power_state over time. There is already a pullrequest pending to integrate this into collectd [0] with some other datas

I've only seen very few of all of those actually happening.

That's right, I've only seen a handful so far too
But I can't tell which ones are important or negligible.

Can we not expose new metrics instead of these internal numbers?

We can do that.
The only question is which data we want to export.
I definitely can not save strings in an RRD database.

Like there's already "up":
m_bool("up", out.data.nLineState == DSL_LINESTATE_SHOWTIME_TC_SYNC);

If you care e.g. about showtime you could just add:
m_bool("showtime", out.data.nLineState ==
DSL_LINESTATE_SHOWTIME_NO_SYNC || out.data.nLineState ==
DSL_LINESTATE_SHOWTIME_TC_SYNC);

That would be a possibility.
The collectd db type would be a bool.
From my point of view, the following values would be important.
I am currently evaluating this.
All other values are saved as unknown and so -1 in ma rrd database

0 -> Not initialized
1 -> Exception
256 -> Idle
512 -> Silent
768 -> Handshake
896 -> Full init
1280 -> Training
2048 -> Showtime without TC-Layer sync
2049 -> Showtime without TC-Layer sync
3328 -> Resync

What is also added is the power_state. However, these are not many values.

Kind regards

Florian

[0] https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/12175