niedz., 20 sie 2023 o 20:50 Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.u...@arinc9.com> napisał(a):
> On 20 August 2023 17:15:51 GMT+03:00, "Rafał Miłecki" <zaj...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >sob., 19 sie 2023 o 17:12 Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.u...@arinc9.com> napisał(a):
> >> The NVMEM_BRCM_NVRAM driver won't work properly with NVRAM in NAND. It
> >> causes the devices with NVRAM in NAND to bootloop. Create a subtarget for
> >> NAND devices and disable the driver on it.
> >>
> >> Disable NVMEM too as the bgmac_bcma driver will hang trying to retrieve the
> >> MAC address without NVMEM_BRCM_NVRAM enabled.
> >
> >Adding a new subtarget just because one driver doesn't work correctly
> >is an overkill.
> >
> >I'll handle that in some simple solution after holidays.
>
> Rafał, you've been aware of this problem and reportedly working on at least
> diagnosing it for the last 6 months. You did not come up with anything yet.
> Forgive me if I find it hard to believe that you will come up with a solution
> in a short amount of time, if that's what you mean by after holidays as I
> don't know what holidays you're referring to.
>
> In the meantime, there is a good amount of users unable to use the newer
> OpenWrt versions on the affected devices because of a driver that provides a
> rather trivial feature. I would like these devices to work again as soon as
> possible as we've already lost a lot of time.
>
> To have these devices work again, I see these solutions:
>
> - First and the most obvious, fix the driver. I do not know the NVMEM
> subsystem well enough to do it and am currently not interested to spend time
> studying it.
>
> - Prevent the driver to read from the flash if NAND flash is detected. Once
> the underlying cause is fixed, this can then be reverted. Like I stated
> above, I lack the knowledge to do this.
>
> - This patch. It can be easily reverted in the future when or should the
> issue be fixed.
>
> - My other patch submitted here that disables the driver for the whole
> target. Currently, only four devices do not have NAND flash and two of these
> devices are not set to be compiled anyway. I'd rather prefer this than
> convoluting OpenWrt with another subtarget. I'd much rather prefer two
> devices not benefiting the future provided by this driver compared to a lot
> more devices being unable to boot.
>
> I feel like writing this mail has been a waste of time as lately I've never
> seen you reply or in any way acknowledge that you've read any of my

I'm not going to argue I handled it properly. It looked at it once
then forgot it. My maintenance time is very limited and I'm not
denying this.

I assumed holidays end for most people with the end of August. I'm on
a 1-week holiday family trip and I don't have time for development or
hardware for testing.

In my very personal opinion I prefer to leave support for those
devices broken for another week (given it has been 6 months now)
rather than push a (in my opinion) pretty hacky workaround.

--
Rafał