> I finally have strongswan running (with the replacement of /bin/sh
> (busybox)), but that breaks all kinds of scripts on the system..  So,
> I built a version that replaced busybox completely, and the same
> issues with scripts is there.
> It seems a lot of scripts are busybox dependent.

This happened with Ubuntu over bash and dash...
Lots of internal and external scripts contained #!/bin/sh at
  the top, but actually relied upon bash ('bashisms').
  'sh' was changed to refer to 'dash' then things broke =).

In the end, the 'bashisms' were fixed (so the scripts work
  with either dash or bash), or the scripts were updated to
  use "#!/bin/bash" at the top.  Many 3rd-parties had to fix
  the same problem, etc.

Can you, maybe leave /bin/sh as-is (busybox, and used by the
  various openwrt scripts), install a strongswan-compatible
  shell (bash or dash or whatever), and change strongswan's
  scripts to contain #!/bin/bash at the top... ?

--Simon