Some devices do not  have an external way to activate tftp boot (like
tp-link). You must interact with bootloader in order to
ask it to download a new firmware. Other routers, that might be your case,
have some kind of "konami code" to start a
firmware recovery mode, like pressing reset while you turn on your device.

Also, some bootloaders allows you to upload a new firmware though the
serial itself (i.e. via kermit). This allows a reflash
even for devices that do not have a working ethernet interface. Generally,
this is not recomended as it is much slower than
tftp. As I my pc has only one ethernet, I used kermit in order to keep my
internet online while flashing my device.

Regards,

---
     Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca, Me.
            luizl...@gmail.com