Hi James,

> __EXIT_STATUS__ => 256  == Searching for Openssl error codes the number 256
> comes up as related to an unsupported cipher. Where is the cypher being
> specified?

The exit status is shifted left by 8 bit by the execution wrapper in OpenXPKI,
so the actual return code is 256 >> 8 == 1, and 1 is the generic OpenSSL error
message.

You should get more information about the error in the openxpki.log file. I
suspect something is wrong with the CSR or the CA key, but the details you
posted do not contain sufficient detail to tell what exactly went wrong.

Is your CA set up correctly? Are you able to create a CRL?

Best regards,

Martin