FYI, during our testing in the run up to jabber.org this time, I happened to notice what an impact DNS is to S2S setups, and that running a local caching resolver is a huge help to an XMPP service.

It helps in two ways:

- It means that previously known queries respond much faster.

- It means bandwidth cost for connection establishment is much lower.

Of course, for most services it's not going to be a massive impact (and for big public deployments, you've probably already done this), but I thought I'd mention it while I remembered.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/