On Sat Aug 13 23:34:56 2011, Josemar Müller Lohn wrote:
You can only get a CNAME answer when you ask for an A record.

I don't think that's true.

I think it may well choke the resolvers in many XMPP implementations, mind, but I think it ought to work according to the specifications. A CNAME merely states to restart the resolution using the new name.

Specifically, the requirement that a name with a CNAME record MUST NOT have any other records (aside from certain DNSSEC ones) would appear to support that.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/