I'm posting an update to this email thread since I was asked to keep
other XMPP operators posted with any updates on the investigations.

I've been in contact with several owners of federated networks, and
performed debugging sessions which hasn't really lead to anything
conclusive.
None of the cases that I've gone through seems to have been related to
the intermittent problem reported here though, and I'm still open to
debugging these issues further.
The people I've been in contact with have either had configuration
issues on one or more of their domains, or experienced problems with
connecting to us in the past but not currently.

Basically, if you have noticed a regression in your services since a
few months ago where you are no longer able to setup a connection to
us, feel free to contact me and I'll look into it.
We'd like to find any regressions in our server-to-server code to
provide a better experience for other federated XMPP networks.
You can also email us at x...@google.com , which is an email alias for
several Google engineers working on our XMPP infastructure.

- Björn, Google