On 8/13/14, 1:30 PM, Philipp Hancke wrote:
A cynical person could also make a counter-strike: display some warning
popup in the regular XMPP clients each time somebody tries to start a
new chat with a user @gmail.com and doesn't receive a response in 2
minutes.  "Warning: the person you have tried to contact uses gmail.com.
  It is possible that their account has been migrated to the Hangouts
platform and that Google has silently discarded chats you send them.
Please click here for a help page you can email to your contact to fix
their account."

Well, this logic can be refined. The broken resources start with
"Messaging".

Not sure why nobody at Google cares, but they didn't bother with
activating TLS.

Even though we defined server-to-server encryption 10 years ago and the folks at Google still haven't implemented it yet, I remain hopeful that they will see the light eventually. (And yes, I realize that hope is not a strategy.)

Peter