On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <pe...@andyet.net> wrote:
> I wonder why this has changed recently (aside from the usual story about the
> economics of spam). How are these XMPP addresses being gathered? Are they
> merely being guessed at, or is there something more nefarious going on? For
> example, although this is pure speculation: are there servers on the network
> that are leaking JIDs?

There also seems to have been an uptick in a number of non-commercial
but still somewhat spammy users (I hesitate to say, "trolls", but it
may be accurate) in some of the various common XSF/software related
rooms many of us idle in. Of course, the two may not have anything to
do with one another (or I may just be imagining it and it's really
it's just one or two very vocal users), but I wonder if there was some
media coverage or something that's causing an influx in the network.

Have any public server operators noticed a spike in registrations over
the last few weeks?

—Sam

--
Sam Whited