Hi,

On Montag, 4. März 2013, 12:45:59 you wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 11:37 +0100, Andreas Lauser wrote:
> > Hm, okay. Seems like the eclipse files I have are too simplistic. But
> >
> >  isn't there a (relatively) simple generic syntax for the file format?
>
> I'm afraid not.  Some (most) keywords consist of (essentially) a single
> data record, terminated by a '/' character.  Some keywords have no
> associated data.  Other keywords have no terminator.  Some keywords have
> an arbitrary number of records (e.g., 'PVTO', 'WELSPECS' or 'COMPDAT')
> and are terminated by a null record (line) consisting only of '/'.  Add
> to this that the number of data items in many records are generally
> dependent upon descriptive metadata in the 'RUNSPEC' section and you end
> up with a highly convoluted structure.

yeah, if you add semantics to it it is definitely convoluted. but I'm talking
about the syntactic part of the parser...

> There is really only one general statement you can make about the
> structure of keywords and that is that the keyword string matches the
> regular expression
>
>         ^[A-Z][A-Z0-9]\{1,7\}
>
> Anything else is more or less special case treatment for each keyword.
> Happily, many of the keywords in the 'GRID' section have the *same*
> special case treatment, so there is at least *some* commonality in the
> input file processing.

That would make the syntactic part of parsing the files pretty simple: just
check of a given line matches the regexp you've given; if it matches, start a
new keyword, else add more parameters to the previous one...

> > I assumption is that if you do not have to deal with seemingly simple
> >
> >  stuff like comments, line continuation, include statements, etc in the
> >  code which adds sematics to the syntax, that code will be much easier
> >  to write and to understand...
>
> Maybe so, but *every* realistic .DATA file uses INCLUDE (possibly
> multiple levels) and comments.

that's my point: if you handle the INPUT keyword as well as comments and line
continuation at the 'dumb' level, you don't need to deal with all of this on
the 'smart' level. I don't know how eclipse handles the INPUT keyword, but if
it uses a just minimally reasonable definition, it inserts the text of the
specified file instead of the INPUT line, which should be pretty easy to
implement...

cheers
  Andreas

--
Andreas Lauser
Department of Hydromechanics and Modelling of Hydrosystems