Hi folks
I've been thinking about this and I think I have a possible suggestion

Lettering:

It's case sensitive

L - Local

R - Remote

S - vSwitch

P- Physical NIC

V - Virtual NIC

pp - patch port

O - Overlay port - not sure if we need...

Numbering:
Numeric values can follow any of the last S, V, and P or nothing follows them
which implies a 1.

For ports it implies the number of ports V2 is two virtual ports connected in
succession.

For switches it actually acts as an Identifier LS2 is local switch 2.

The scheme is really to describe the flows from port to port through the vswitch

so

Current scheme

Proposed scheme

Phy2phy

LS_P2

PVP

LS_PVP

PVVP

LS_PV2P

Multiple VMs in series

LS_PVxP where X is the number

Multiple VMs in Parallel

LS_PVP_x (where X is a number applies to everything surrounded by underscores)

2 local switches doing phy2phy

LS1_P2_LS2_P2

2 local switches patched together

LS1_Ppp_LS2_P

Overlayed -switches on a local and a remote

LS_PO_RS_OP

Overlayed - local switched

LS1_PO_LS2_OP

Not as simple as I would have hoped, but open to any suggestions

BR
Marayam