From: opnfv-tech-discuss-boun...@lists.opnfv.org
[mailto:opnfv-tech-discuss-boun...@lists.opnfv.org] On Behalf Of Kunzmann,
Gerald
Sent: 19 January 2017 09:33
To: opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org
Subject: [opnfv-tech-discuss] [opnfv-docs] References in documentation to
master or release files?

Dear OPNFVDOCS Team,

We are discussing about the pros/cons of referencing in documentation to master
or release files.

A)     The correct (?) way: always refer to master files/URLs in master branch
and refer to release files/URLs in release branches.
For example, someone trying to git clone origin/stable/danube as documented in
master branch will fail. Instead, pointing to a specific release should only
happen in the corresponding release branch.

Also, rendered files in artifacts.opnfv.org from master branch (e.g.
http://artifacts.opnfv.org/doctor/docs/manuals/mark-host-down_manual.html)
should be placed under a 'master' directory just like it happens to rendered
files from release branches.

Consequences:  When updating the documentation prior to branch split, we would
have to use references to master and at branch split update all references to
release branch. And patches that are being cherry picked to the release would
require changing the links contained in it. Also, the references would have to
be updated for each release.

B)      The pragmatic way: reduce the need/effort to update such links from
release to release and use references to master for those parts of the
documentation that will not change for the release, e.g. references to some
manuals where we don't have any plans to update those parts of the code.

See also the discussion and example in
https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/24365/

We are not sure what would be the preferred/recommended way.
Some recommendations by the opnfvdocs team would help the different projects to
use a common approach.

I would like to get some more feedback from other OPNFV'ers on how to best
address this.

Best regards,
Gerald

Dr. Gerald Kunzmann, Manager
DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH
Landsberger Strasse 312, 80687 Munich
Tel: +49-89-56824-239 / Fax: +49-89-56824-300
Web: http://www.docomoeurolabs.de<http://www.docomoeurolabs.de/>

Geschäftsführer: Atsushi Takeshita, Dr. Thomas Walter, Hisahiro Hamahata,
Hiroyuki Oto, Kei Tonokura,
Amtsgericht München, HRB 132976