Hi,

The reason why Functest-suite job is giving false positives in CI is because of
the Functest CLI. This job is mainly used by verify gates and other 3rd party
jobs like ODL-Netvirt, ODL-CSIT, and will be more often used.

This only happens with the 'suite' job and not with 'daily' jobs, since we call
the 'run_tests.py' script directly instead of the CLI.

https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=releng.git;a=blob;f=jjb/functest/functest-suite.sh;h=f28d3d0377fcc40f30c41f64a1f2619ff4648e1d;hb=2b72e01a433d886999f2159e996a65fb7d855706#l10
Looking at this line, we use the CLI command (functest testcase run ...) in our
Functest-suite job, so that you can run a single test case or a given list of
test cases.

Functest CLI is based on click http://click.pocoo.org/5/. The way it works is
that the functions that are called from the CLI are not "functions" any more,
they become a CLI program, then it will always return 0 if the command
execution is OK, regardless of what the implemented function returns. Thus, the
command "functest testcase run" will return always 0 whatever test result we
have.
Example of a failed test execution here: http://pastebin.com/raw/97uUkeYj

We have some options to solve this:

1)      Swap the Functest-suite command to use the python script run_tests.py
instead of the CLI command. Problem --> cannot run more than 1 test case at a
time. With the CLI you can do things like: "functest testcase run healtcheck,
vping, tempest" but with run_tests.py you can only call 1 test case at a time,
i.e. 'run_tests.py -t vping.'

2)      Parse the testcase name in the Jenkins Job and if it is a list
separated by comas, we call run_tests.py as many times as needed. --> too much
logic in the Jenkins job

3)      Raise an exception in the CLI if the test case fails --> effective but
ugly http://pastebin.com/raw/MEvpbm3c

What are your preferences?

Thanks,
Jose