Hi Infra group,

I got an action point this afternoon during the TSC meeting after the presentation on the behalf of the testing working group on our vizion of test evolution (https://wiki.opnfv.org/download/attachments/9568526/testing%20evolution%20v1_3.pptx?version=2&modificationDate=1499788745000&api=v2)

We would like to run more stress/resiliency tests on "stable" releases.

This raises several questions:

 * POD/resources
 * capability to manage OPNFV releases

TSC would like to get a_concrete proposal it can vote on_ regarding this topic.

We will discuss it tomorrow during the testing group meeting tomorrow (APAC slot)

I imagine something like that (just a proposal), feel free to comment/amend/modify

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Need*: be able to run stress/robustness/resiliency testing on OPNFV

People observed that unstability may occur on OPNFV releases after some days or due to the repetition of basic tests.

Stress tests developed for Danube showed also that OPNFV solutions can be crashed relatively easily...

These problems cannot be found when running systematically test suite only once after on a fresh installation

Regarding current release pipeline, it is not possible to plan such testing on OPNFV candidate release (stable solution ready for such tests shortly before the release date)

*Benefit for the community*: Address EUAG pain point, contribute to improve "Telco Grade" aspects, consolidate the confidence in the release

_*short term proposal (Danube/Euphrates transition)*_

once Danube 3.0 is over, use existing resources to reinstall an os-nosdn-nofeature-ha scenario on

 * lf-pod1  / apex
 * huawei-pod2 / compass
 * ericsson-pod1 / fuel
 * intel-pod5 / joid

Use these pods for stress/robusteness tests until resources are realocated for Euphrates: 14th of July to mid August ~ 1 month?

 * main goal: run bottlenecks 2 scenarios developed for Danube
 * optional (if time): planned slots for Storperf, VSPERF, qtip,
   yardstick, functest

_Benefit:_

 * get official feedback on the stress tests done for Danube (part of
   Danube priorities) on what we really released
 * almost no impact on resources (just stop re-installing + grant
   access  for troubleshooting on existing resources)
 * Possibility to perform resiliency/stress on any "released" scenario
   (even if it is theoretical as no test suites on K8s today)

_Drawback_

 * if bug detected...bug will be reported to the installers but not
   sure it could be fixed
 * need lots of resources: PODs and people (at least 1 POD per installer)

_*mid term proposal (beyond Euphrates)*_

Allocate 1 pod for such activity based on OSA tagged version

 * Intel-18 / OSA os-nosdn-nofeature-ha (tagged Pike)

The mid term solution will allow the testing community to work closed to upstream independantly from the installers
detected bugs will be reported (and hopefully fixed) upstream

_Benefit:_

 * bugs reported upstream
 * 1 single source / no dependencies towards installers
 * Need only 1 POD (Testing group shall self-organize the timeslot
   allocation)
 * Keep aligned on the target version (no real // testing, release
   validation and stress tests done on the target release)
 * Possibility to leverage test promotion

_Drawback:_

 * Stress/resiliency test not directly related to
   scenarios/installer..what we are releasing
 * OpenStack centric

Note if you think mid term is achievable now (installation of an OSA tagged Ocata on Intel-18) and people are fine with the approach we can probably skip the short term

/Morgan

falsifie. Merci.

this message and its attachments.
modified, changed or falsified.