Alec,

No, I'm not part of the Doctor team.
I simply fix the requirements (and then packages) over the different
OPNFV projects which are integrated inside Functest.

From Functest point of view, the requirements are key compared to the
versioning as we are currently using git (instead of pypi) to install
the packages.
Stable branches (and tag in case of releng) are currently enough to
build Functest stable docker images.
https://git.opnfv.org/functest/tree/upper-constraints.txt
https://git.opnfv.org/functest/tree/docker/core/Dockerfile

You're right. I had to switch to 2017.9.0 instead of 5 due to the
previous pbr conditions in Doctor setup.cfg which I have mainly
defined in the other packages.
I agree with tagging OPNFV release with 5.0.0 and then with removing
version in setup.cfg.
I set 5 in setup.cfg as default value but it can be safely removed/modified.

If we select 2017.9.0, it can raise minor issues for projects which
would want to release their packages in between official OPNFV
releases.
As the packages are not published in pypi, I don't think it's
currently relevant.

Cédric