The one-size nature of the Pharos specs has always been one of the key
weaknesses of the OPNFV program IMO. It does not reflect the likely diversity
of hardware infra that will be used in different deployment environments, e.g.
datacenter, edge, customer premises (enterprise, consumer), including compute,
storage, and networking components. Even so, it’s been difficult to nail down
how a Pharos POD should be configured (aside from how it *could* be as
described in the spec, in loose terms), and that unclarity is I think a key
aspect of why it’s so hard to deploy OPNFV installer-based distros in labs. For
example, there is nothing AFAICT about how switches should be configured (in
detail, as needed), though this is a key aspect of getting the networking to
work.

I think that OPNFV should focus on documenting Pharos lab configs that have
been proven compatible (with PDF’s provided) with specific installers, so that
it’s possible to replicate that. In the process we would likely see the true
diversity of POD configs that are needed, being clarified, as lab owners apply
their PODs to different deployment use cases.

This would be a more useful approach to this IMO. Re 32GB or 128GB, personally
for a datacenter-focused lab server I would recommend no less than 256GB or
even 512GB (which we use in production). For an end-focused deployment the RAM
may be less, and for a CPE deployment maybe 128GB or less, depending upon the
type of CPE. A key consideration in the memory footprint will be what is the
nature of the control plane, e.g. OpenStack (heavyweight) or cloud-native
(lightweight).

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T