From: <opnfv-tech-discuss-boun...@lists.opnfv.org> on behalf of Alexandru
Avadanii <alexandru.avada...@enea.com>
Date: Friday, October 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM
To: TECH-DISCUSS OPNFV <opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org>
Subject: [opnfv-tech-discuss] Arch-specific Docker tags

Hi,
Cédric pointed out that Docker uses DEB/kernel format for describing the
architecture of a Docker container.
To align with this, the Functest Docker tags were updated from
"x86_64-latest"/"aarch64-latest" to "amd64-latest"/"arm64-latest".

Although the arch-naming convention is not enforced to this format (as long as
the manifest points for a specific architecture to a specific tag, that tag can
be named however we want), we agreed that aligning with the Docker internal
format would be a good idea.

My personal preference would be to duplicate the tags, and have both
"x86_64-latest"/"amd64-latest", respectively "aarch64-latest"/"arm64-latest"
point to the same image.

Anyway, I think we should agree on a format at the OPNFV-project level, and try
to use it for all our projects.

So, for multiarch projects that push Docker images, we have at least 3 options:
1. "amd64"/"arm64" tags, aligning with Docker internal naming (currently used
by Functest);
2. "amd64" + "x86_64" / "arm64" + "aarch64";
3. "x86_64" / "aarch64" (currently used by Storperf);

Note that if the project provides a manifest, arch-specific tags are more or
less hidden from the end-user, and a simple `docker pull
opnfv/functest-core:latest' (or without a tag) will fetch the image for the
current system arch automatically (amd64-latest or arm64-latest for Functest).

Thank you, Cédric, for handling this for Functest on such short notice!

BR,
Alex