Greetings Bin,
Thanks for your sharing your thinking on how the process works. There are a
couple items I wanted to ask you to address:
1. "Step 2, third bullet" uses the word "consensus", without a clear
definition of what that means. Can one objection hold up a project request?
2. In "Step 3", the process defines the tech-discuss meeting as a gate OR
decision making body? My understanding of the charter and founding docs is
only the TSC has been granted decision making powers. I looked for
documentation on the tech-discuss forum and was unable to find their
specific responsibilities/operational policy? I believe it is a weekly
forum for discussion of technical matters relating to OPNFV.
3. It is my understanding that anyone can request an item for vote by the
TSC at any time. Is that your understanding as well?
Jim

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 10:54 PM HU, BIN <bh5...@att.com> wrote:

> Hello community,
>

> Fresh blood is joining us. New project proposals are coming. I want to
> take this opportunity to give an overview of the process of bringing a
> project to OPNFV.
>

>    1. History of Process
>

> General Project Lifecycle is documented in [1]. Project promotion, and
> demotion, across states can only be done by TSC review and voting. During
> the reviews, the candidate projects are evaluated based on predefined
> metrics and KPIs. The target numbers may vary for the different levels. In
> order for creation review in TSC, proposals need to be emailed to TSC
> mailing list, and posted for two weeks. Various review criteria are
> available in [1].
>

> In practice, after OPNFV was founded, we started to discuss new project
> proposals in TSC meeting on 10/21/2014 [1]. TSC spent 2 hours to discuss
> several projects. None could be agreed. TSC realized that a separate
> community discussion was needed to discuss project proposals, help
> proposals get mature before it could go to TSC for creation review. See
> minutes [1] regarding the topic “Recurring weekly calls on general
> technical content” and the action to create a separate weekly meeting on
> wiki dedicated to discussing project proposals.
>

> The first weekly technical discussion started on 10/30/2014, and history
> maintained in [3]. Project proposals were reviewed and discussed on
> 10/30/2014, 11/06/2014, 11/13/2014 and 11/20/2014. And the first project
> was approved by TSC on 11/25/2014 after that project got community
> feedback, made best effort to resolve community comments, made several
> revisions and discussed in those 4 weekly meetings.
>
>    - Note: due to wiki upgrade in March 2016, all details of records of
>    agenda and minutes of weekly technical discussion [3] before 03/24/2016
>    were lost.
>

>    1. Process Overview
>

> Step 1: create your proposal in wiki [4], and email to TSC and
> Tech-Discussion mailing list
>
> Step 2: schedule a community review and discussion in weekly technical
> discussion. The review process is documented in [3].
>
>    - This community review is the major part of the process, and it may
>    take several weeks and iterate several rounds.
>    - 2-week review period is the minimum period, i.e. a “necessary
>    condition”, but NOT a “sufficient condition” to bring to TSC for creation
>    review
>    - A consensus from community review is normally expected to recommend
>    the project proposal for TSC creation review.
>    - This process was designed by Founding TSC and its leadership,
>    started with the 1st project (reviewed for 4 rounds based on available
>    record), and a case study below.
>    - All approved projects have followed this process.
>
> Step 3: once TSC receives the recommendation from community review in
> weekly technical discussion, TSC will schedule a creation review, and vote
> to approve or disapprove this proposal.

> [...]

Jim Baker
Linux Foundation Networking - Technical Program Manager
mobile: +1 970 227 6007