Hi Sridhar

[+tech discuss list]

From my knowledge, very few NFVi installers know how to configure the TOR(s)
and instead just assume that some admin will go and configure the TORs in a way
that is compatible with the installer’s own networking blueprint – this is one
of the main areas were human errors occur during installation as there can be
hundreds of cables to wire manually and as many ports to configure on the TORs.
I know at least one (commercial) that does it but it only supports very
specific model of TOR and very specific encaps/overlays.

My comment to engage the installer team was more related to the wiring design
between TOR(s) and servers that make up an openstack platform, which are of
predominant importance when it comes to HW configuration.
Any openstack installer will have to create a networking blueprint that will
dictate how many TORs and how many physical interfaces are needed and what kind
of traffic each will carry. Even with simpler VLAN
deployment, there are multiple openstack networks to map on physical interfaces
and/or VLANs with possibility of VLAN trunking and HA.
It is clearly recommended to define the RI HW configuration with proper
consultation with the installer team (this includes storage configuration as
well as I mentioned in the wiki).
As I did not follow on CNTT meetings, I’m not sure which OPNFV team is in
charge of installing openstack on the RI and what kind of installer it is.

Thanks

   Alec