Hi Stephan,

sorry for taking me so long, but my day job actually eats up a lot of time
right now.
A new tomcat version does require a new folder in the pax-tipi project.
Actually the main project is just a "container" holding a bunch of
sub-projects.

regarding the juli logger, what ever works best and doesn't break Pax Web
from working.
I tried to move around that in the past, but it seemed to be better to just
include the juli logger inside the tomcat bundles.

regards, Achim

> Hi Achim,
>
> yes I was aware of the things done in pax-tipi. I will try this out and
> then create the required projects in there. As I understand a new tomcat
> version would require new folders in pax-tipi for the required bundles
> (next to the ones for version 8.0.14), is this correct?
>
> One more question: What about the org.apache.juli.logging stuff?
> pax-logging-api exports org.apache.juli.logging in version 5.5 and 6.0,
> (tipi) tomcat-embed-logging-juli exports org.apache.juli and
> org.apache.juli.logging in its own version. tomcat-embed-core and
> tomcat-embed-websocket import org.apache.juli.logging in their own version
> (currently 8.0.14), pax-web-jsp imports org.apache.juli.logging without
> version (which makes kind of sense, because if the web container is not
> tomcat, the tomcat-embed-logging-juli bundle will not be there).
>
> Do you have an idea how to straigthen that out? Maybe we can import
> org.apache.juli.logging without a version and rely for the pax-logging
> implementation (and not have a tomcat-embed-juli bundle in pax-tipi). The
> only class that seems to be used besides the things pax-logging emulates is
> org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager, which needs to be replaced
> somehow. Has anyone tried that already?
>
> Best regards
> Stephan
>
> Am Montag, 21. August 2017 18:33:54 UTC+2 schrieb Achim Nierbeck:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the 6.0.x branch should stay with 8.0 version but a newer one if
>> available.
>> A minor version bump is fine with a 6.1.x (or master branch).
>>
>> regards, Achim
>>
>> P.S. btw. since Tomcat isn't OSGi ready we did some "enhancements" in the
>> Pax Tipi Project.

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> currently the tomcat support in pax-web references tomcat 8.0.14, which
>>> is almost three years old. The current tomcat versions are 8.0.46 and
>>> 8.5.20. The end of life for tomcat 8.0 is announced for June 30th 2018.
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to upgrade the tomcat version in pax-web-6.0x branch
>>> to tomcat 8.5, or should it remain with a more current 8.0-version and move
>>> to 8.5 only in the master branch? What do you think?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Stephan
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Apache Member
>> OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer
>> & Project Lead
>> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>
>> Co-Author of Apache Karaf Cookbook <http://bit.ly/1ps9rkS>
>>
>> Software Architect / Project Manager / Scrum Master
>>
>> --
> --

Apache Member