(hm... my mind crosswired and wrote the wrong subject, but it looks like
the meaning got though anyway... subject corrected)

> You need to add some VMOption by yourself, something like
[snip!]
> You can take a look at [1] to get more details about how we do it in Karaf.

> [1]https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/itests/common/src/main/java/org/apache/karaf/itests/KarafTestSupport.java

I'll give it a look and report back how it worked out. Thanks!

(the pax exam tests were the last thing keeping me on openjdk-11,
everything else seems to be working, up to and including running my
applications in karaf.  Debian has dropped openjdk-8 from their current
testing, meaning it will be gone from the next stable, and this
energized me into finally making the transition to "new-style Java")

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ops4j/86sgssjy49.fsf_-_%40dod.no.