Ed,

We just had an IEEE/IESG coordination call, and we discussed draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis.

The situation is that IEEE 802.3.1 draft ballot ended 2 days ago.
The IEEE document currently contains a pointer to the draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis draft. The IEEE document should be finalized by mid June. If this draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis would be a RFC by this time, the pointer will be replaced by the correct RFC. This is the ideal situation.
So there is some sort of urgency publishing this RFC5066bis document.

Regards, Benoit

Below is some background information.

Regards, Benoit

7. IETF Ethernet MIB, ADSL MIB and IEEE 802.3
7.1. Description
In the transition process between the IETF and the IEEE the following documents were taken over by IEEE 802.3:
RFC 2108 - Ethernet Repeater Devices
RFC 3621 - Power Ethernet MIB
RFC 3635 - Ethernet-like Interface Types
RFC 3637 - Ethernet WAN Interface Sublayer
RFC 4836 - Ethernet Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)
RFC 4837 - Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPON)
RFC 4878 - Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Functions on Ethernet-Like Interfaces
RFC 5066 - Ethernet in the First Mile Copper (EFMCu) Interfaces MIB
The IF-CAP-STACK-MIB in RFC 5066 is generic and the IETF proposed to continue to be maintained by the IETF in a separate new document The IEEE 802.3 proposed to create an RFC that documents the issues related to the transition of the Ethernet MIB work to IEEE 802.3 similar to RFC 4663 which documents the transition of the Bridge MIB work to IEEE 802.1 - The OPSAWG was rechartered in October 2012 to include the two relevant documents - Status 4/30/13: draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis received a number of substantial comments in the OPSAWG review which resulted in the need for substantial edits, revised version is still in progress. The second I-D was not submitted yet. The IEEE 802.3.1 completes Recirculation Sponsor Ballot on 4/30. Dan submitted an Approve ballot, the document is expected to be released in June, probably with reference to the Internet-Draft.

7.2. Relevant Documents
- IEEE 802.3.1 Draft
- http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/opsawg/charter/
- https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis/

7.3. Owners
- Benoit Claise, Dan Romascanu, Ed Beili (IETF), Howard Frazier (IEEE 802.3)

7.4. Action Items
- Dan Romascanu will enter the Sponsor Ballot pool and enter a comment suggesting that the IEEE 802.3 take out the IEEE8023-IF-CAP-STACK-MIB from their document and refer the IF-CAP-STACK-MIB instead - in progress, Sponsor Ballot started, comments need to be submitted until 1/13 - Done - Ed Beili will write an I-D targeting standards track that obsoletes RFC 5066 and extract IF-CAP-STACK-MIB from RFC5056, with wording emphasizing the generic nature of this module - now on the OPSAWG charter, CRITICAL TIMING issue initial I-D to be submitted by 12/28, to become an OPSAWG document before 1/25 - done - Ed Beili will write an I-D targeting informational RFC, similar to RFC 4663, with:
a) Listing of all the RFCs obsoleted by the IEEE 802.3.1-2011
b) A table mapping the old IETF MIB names with the corresponding new IEEE ones c) Clarifications/rules on the IETF-IEEE interactions, mailing lists, reviews
d) Clarifications on the intellectual property considerations
The first version will be posted by Ed. Then Dan Romascanu and Howard Frazier will add IETF-IEEE interactions chapter. - Now on OPSAWG charter - Howard Frazier to add a EDITOR'S NOTE in the current IEEE MIB document, to explain the situation - Done - Dan Romascanu will submit an Approve Ballot in the Recirculation Sponsor Ballot (if all related issues are addressed) - Done