Hmm. I've finally made time to read this draft, to find out what the
fuss is about...

Firstly, I have to find a polite way of saying... well, I can't, so
here it is: delete the Introduction and try again. I think the present
text is guaranteed to annoy just about everybody, and evidently it will
not "end the bickering."

(I gave my own potted history of security in the IETF in the plenary
at IETF 88, slides 2-4.)

Then, I can see 12 RFCs in the index whose titles include the word 'firewall'
and that only scratches the surface; there are literally hundreds of references
to firewalls in existing RFCs. IMHO, if this draft aims to survey the field,
it needs to survey the IETF and non-IETF literature much better (perhaps as
an appendix).

Overall, this draft seems to me to be an opinion piece. That's fine of course,
everyone is entitled to state their opinion, but I'm not sure that it helps
the IETF to know what to do next. It reads more like a CCR editorial article
or an Independent Submission RFC.

To some more specific comments:

Section 4.1 seems to increase rather than decrease the popular confusion
between firewall functions and NAT functions. I would prefer to see
NAT described in a separate section *as a side issue*. NAT failure modes
are not the same as firewall failure modes.

Section 4.3 cites draft-vyncke-advanced-ipv6-security, which is very dead
as far as I can tell. I don't think we should be citing dead work
in a current IETF draft.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter