I like this idea!

As it happens, the original motivation was simply to secure T+ and clean
up the text of the original draft spec. We were less radical that moving
to JSON (that¹s a nice idea ;-)) we originally intended to support the old
protocol for backwards compatibility and add TLS for the much-needed
security. However the consensus was reached in the WG instead for a two
phased approach to document the plain protocol first and to follow up with
a document which detailed securing the protocol. Rather than admitting
simply that the protocol was insecure and how to fix it, we have taken a
little longer than originally intended to complete the first phase.

I suspect our efforts may get overtaken soon by de facto securing of T+
anyway...